Thai new prime minister pleads for chance to run the country

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Thai new prime minister pleads for chance to run the country
BANGKOK, Jan 29 (TNA) -Thailand's Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej on Tuesday told Thai people to have confidence in him and pleaded for a chance to run the country despite verbal insults and sarcastic remarks against him in the past.

"Whoever insulted me and looked down on me, you'll have to give me some time. The previous prime minister was a militaryman and he could run the country for 16 months. I'm a politician and I can also do it. I have my team to work with me. Please have faith in us," said Mr. Samak in a speech immediately after a ceremony to be officially bestowed the premiership at His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej's command.

Likening the administration of a country to driving a car, Mr. Samak said each person has the responsibility of taking care of each part of the car which can be driven into different conditions whether on bumpy roads, in broad daylight or night time.

"As head of the government who has to drive this car in an abnornal situation, I beg for a chance to solve pending problems for the country's survival," said the outspoken PM. "I have to say this because I've been forced by the situation to do it. I've been insulted by lots of people and I must be patient. Now I'm running the country; so allow me to do it."

In a harsh tone, he strongly emphasised his leadership at the People Power Party (PPP) which commands 233 seats in the 480-seat House of Representatives and despite having been in politics for almost 40 years "this will be the first time that I will take the premier's role."

"I assure all of you that I can do it. The past 24 prime ministers had been patriotic, protecting the religion and loyal to the monarchy. Compared to them, I'm no less loyal to the monarchy," Mr. Samak said. "We have had the monarchy for hundreds of year and the institution will continue to be with us."

Apparently defending ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, the stern-faced Samak said, "Whoever dares to accuse others of being disloyal to the monarchy has acted unfairly.The accused person is no less loyal to the monarchy."

A congratulatory banquet was held at Samak's residence in Bangkok's Bungkuem on Tuesday evening. PPP secretary general Surapong Suebwonglee led dozens of PPP members who met at the PPP headquarters and travelled to Mr. Samak's residence in two coaches.

Many other members in the coalition bloc separately arrived to join the function. (TNA)


mcot news: Political News : Last Update : 18:39:20 29 January 2008 (GMT+7:00)

0 comments:

 
Theme by New wp themes | Bloggerized by Dhampire